Connect your Gmail account with Nutshell to sync emails from Gmail to Nutshell and vice versa.
Use the Google email sync to send and receive emails from Gmail and see them attached to the same contact in Nutshell, or send email from Nutshell! Your contacts won't know the difference. Read on to learn how to set up this email integration.
Enable the email sync
First, you must enable the Google Apps integration. When you are connected, the "Enable mail sync" option will appear in your email settings, and you can then proceed with the steps below.
- Click the user icon in the lower left
- Click Your settings
- Click Email
- Click Settings
- Click Configure next to your email address and choose how your email is synced into Nutshell
Get email into Nutshell
You have two options for which messages are synced into Nutshell:
- Every email you send or receive
- Only emails with the label "Nutshell" (Note: When you apply a label to an email in Gmail, the label is applied to the current email and any previous emails in that thread. Subsequent replies to that email will not be included on the label. We only recommend this option if you are trying to sync in older email threads or plan to be very selective about which email chains are synced into Nutshell).
Note: This feature is only available for Gmail and Google Apps users. For information on the full automatic Gmail sync, check out this page.
Emails including a "Nutshell" tag in Gmail will automatically sync to your Nutshell account, and People will be created when the email addresses are not already attached to People in your Nutshell.
In Gmail, a "Nutshell" label will automatically be created. You can apply this label to emails that you want to attach inside Nutshell.
Apply the filter to all emails for extended ease of use
To automate this process, set up filters in your Gmail account to automatically apply the Nutshell label to certain emails.
- In the upper right corner of Gmail, click on "Settings"
- Select the Filters tab
- Click "Create a new filter"
- Enter criteria to auto-tag: an email sender or recipient, a subject containing specific text (for example "request for a meeting", "urgent", etc) and so on
- Click on "Create filter with this search" in the lower right side of that form
- Check the box "Apply the label: Nutshell"
- Click "Create filter"
Now your emails will automatically sync into your Nutshell account!
Share (or hide) your emails
Nutshell will never share emails that aren't associated with an existing Nutshell contact. After an email has been imported to Nutshell, you can configure two options for sharing:
Sharing from your inbox
You have a personal inbox—a place to share and unshare email. Located on the email settings page, you are the only one who can see your inbox.
Emails from mail sync have an option to share with your team or hide from your team.
When you share an email, Nutshell will automatically create people for the sender or recipients.
How to tell whether an email is hidden or visible to your team
Messages that aren't shared with your team have a unique dashed line around them, so it's always clear when a message is hidden from other users.
Messages that are shared have a blue and red border, like this:
There are certain emails you never want in Nutshell—those from HR or payroll tools, for example. Add addresses to your personal blacklist, and those messages will never touch our servers, much less appear in Nutshell.
I just received an email, but I don't see it in Nutshell—what gives?
Nutshell checks every few minutes for email to sync, so sometimes it might be a couple emails behind. On the Settings tab, you can see your Sync Status, including the last check and the last email that was synced.
Why don't I see the option to automatically import my email?
This feature is currently only available to Google Apps users. If you're a Google Apps user and still don't see the option, your Google Apps integration might not be properly configured. An easy way to check is to look for the Google Apps logo next to your email address on your email settings page.
Only some emails have the option to "hide," why is that?
You have the option to share or hide email that has been imported using email sync. Email added with our existing BCC feature or the Google Chrome extension is there to stay. (You can still delete them though!)
Are internal emails shared?
Messages amongst your team will never be automatically shared, whether it's an email about the cupcakes in the office kitchen or an email from your boss.
I just synced my Gmail, but not all of my past emails came in. Why not?
The initial Gmail sync will bring in your sent messages from the last 45 days, or the most recent 80 messages (whichever comes first). It will bring in your most recent 100 received messages, or received messages from the last 45 days (again, whichever comes first). The sync does not bring in all of your historic emails but will sync all email sent or received in Gmail going forward.
If you want to sync all of your Gmail history to Nutshell, go to the Settings tab and select the option to sync messages with the Nutshell label. Then, in Gmail, apply the Nutshell label to all of your emails. Once the emails have synced, we recommend that you switch back to syncing all emails, since Gmail won't apply a label to subsequent replies in an ongoing email thread (meaning that not all your emails in a conversation can sync into Nutshell).
I'm concerned about the privacy of my emails. What options do I have?
- You can set up a one-way email sync. Un-check the box that says Enable email sync on the Settings tab. You'll still be able to send email from Nutshell, and you can add any replies to Nutshell manually by syncing a thread using our Gmail extension for Chrome or forwarding them to email@example.com
- Choose to share no messages with your team. You can decide which messages to share by clicking the Share with everyone button on hidden messages from the Inbox tab.