Nutshell offers the right balance of flexibility and control to ensure that team members see what they need to and not what they don't need.
In Nutshell, there are two types of users: administrators and non-administrators.
Admins in Nutshell will be able to access everything in Nutshell. They can view all company, person, and lead data, and they have access to the Setup menu. Admins can make account-wide changes to your settings that affect your users, organization, sales process, and more.
To give a user admin privileges, go to:
- Click your initials or avatar in the bottom left corner of Nutshell
- Company Settings > Users & teams
- Click the user's name and check the box next to "This user can access Nutshell setup"
- Click "Save"
Features administrators have access to:
- Lead distribution
- Sales processes
- Sales quotas
- Activity quotas
- Company types
- Users and teams
- Custom fields
- Nutshell billing
- API keys
Please note that this is not a comprehensive list.
Other features administrators have access to:
- Filter the Activities, To Do, and Timeline sections of the Dashboard to see any user's completed and upcoming actions
- Set the company logo
- Set business hours
- Set default market
- Set default phone code
- Set default address
- Delete lists that were saved by removed users
Non-administrators can be restricted by administrators, and therefore, do not have access to the Setup page in Nutshell. Anyone who should not be able to make changes to your account should not be made an administrator. Not sure if you're an admin or not? Check out this article.
Restricting viewing permissions
Employees don't always need to see all the information you keep in Nutshell. You can configure Nutshell so that certain Companies, People, and Leads are hidden from your colleagues to ensure appropriate privacy or to keep information within certain teams.
To restrict team members, they must first be placed on a team. Any Nutshell user can be added to a team for organizational purposes, but only non-admins can be given restricted access. Learn how to create Teams in Nutshell.
Note: we don't recommend putting admins on teams since administrators can already access all information in Nutshell and their level of access can interfere with non-administrators getting the proper access to the tighter restriction tiers.
Restricting exporting and editing permissions
You can specify whether non-admin users can export data, or whether non-admin users can make bulk edits to your Company, Person, and Lead data. You can edit those settings via Company settings > General Settings, the first page you'll see when you click on the Setup page.
How to restrict non-administrators
- Click Setup > Users & teams
- Create a new team or click an existing team
- Click to add an existing user to the team or add a new user to the team
- Drag and drop the person between the permissions tiers
You can choose from three different levels of access for new team members:
- The employee can see all data in Nutshell (you would use this when someone is not an administrator but should still have access to any information on all of your companies, people, and leads)
- The employee can see all data in their team (this setting is helpful for employees that need to work collaboratively on their projects but don't want to be distracted by information that isn't useful to their work)
- The employee can see only their own data (you can add employees to this level when you need to keep everything private except the companies, people, or leads that these employees are working with)
Is there a limit to the number of administrators we can have in Nutshell?
No. There is no limit to the number of administrators you can have in Nutshell, but you do have to have at least one administrator.
Can non-administrators import spreadsheets or data from other sources?
No. Only administrators can import data into Nutshell. Non-administrators can manually create new Companies, People, and Leads.
Can non-administrators create new Tags?
Only administrators in Nutshell can create and delete Tags via Setup, but non-administrators can create tags on the fly on Company, People, and Lead pages as well as in the bulk edit window on list pages. Non-administrators can apply tags to the Companies, People, Leads they have access to.
Can restricted users see all reports?
Yes! They can view reports, but they will only see the data they have permission to view in reports.
Can restricted users search everything in Nutshell?
- Team members in the Users that can view all data in the team tier can view everything assigned to them, anything assigned to the whole team, and anything assigned to other users within that team.
- Team members in the Users that can only view their data tier can only view Companies, People, and Leads assigned to them.
Can restricted users view all companies, people, or leads associated with a company, person, or lead that is assigned to them?
- If a lead is assigned to a user that can only view their own data, the user will be able to view the companies and/or people associated with that lead, even if they are assigned to someone else.
- If a company or person is assigned to a user that can only view their own data, the user will not be able to view any other companies, people, or leads associated with that company or person unless the associated entities are also assigned to the user.